Remember how I said that I've been working to properly organize my data prior to a full backup? One of the things I ran into over the weekend was a batch of over 500 photos that needed...modification.
In early 2006 I attended an event that was photographed by a professional photographer. At the photographer's website there were small photo thumbnails which, when clicked, would lead you to larger photos that contained watermarks in three locations. I used curl to download everything en masse with the intention of writing a script to automatically apply the unmodified areas of the thumbnails over the watermarked areas of the larger photos.
This weekend I took the time to write the script, and it worked like a charm. I even made sure to transfer the original Exif metadata to the modified images.